Mommy and Mirah's trip to Seattle


The wayward travelers are back from Seattle. It was a great trip, but great things rarely come without sacrifice. Let me explain. Imagine you have an 8 month old baby. Ok, try to keep that baby in one spot for 5+ hours. Yeah. I did this...... Twice. When buying the tickets I was thinking like a non-mom. I perused my options. One stopover.... sounds good to me. Book it. Lesson learned.... stopovers are....... good.

Mirah, I'd like to give you a recap of the two lovely flights we had together.

Hartford to Seattle:
1st leg: Hartford to NYC/JFK--- the excitement begins at the gate where I have to fold up your stroller. I had thought out this process ahead of time and put you in the Bjorn carrier so that I could have my hands free. Unfortunately the stroller has a broken seat cover and I had to wrap it with a bungy cord to keep it closed. I tried to convince your dad that it would be good to fix the stroller before the flight, but he made the case to fix it after I got back. In case it gets more broken in transit. It doesn't sound convincing now, but being a philosopher your dad can be very convincing. I gave in. Argh. I wish I wouldn't have because here's what happened..... Get the stroller folded up. Lean over to put the bungy cord around it. Not long enough. WHAT?!? I know this is the one we used before!?!?! In a panic I knock over the diaper bag and baby items roll out. Two women (moms, I'm sure) stop to help me. Meanwhile the buckle on the carrier comes open and you start to fall out. I catch you and you cling to my arm dangling like the kitten in the "Hang in there" poster. Good little kitten. You hung in there. The moms get the cord wrapped around the stroller. Whew. I walk on the plane all sweaty and frazzled. Let the fun begin.

The first leg from Hartford to JFK was a piece of cake. 45 minutes or so and you napped. Then came the looooooong layover at JFK airport 3.5 ridiculous hours. We walked around a lot. Looked at people. You smiled and made lots of friends. I dreaded the walk down the ramp to fold up the stroller again. I practiced once in the terminal to make sure I wouldn't repeat the previous performance. This time.... much better. Whew. Next comes the 2nd flight--JFK to Seattle (~2500 miles). You napped for the first 45 minutes. Good start. Then NO sleep for a long time. Lots of bouncing and squawking and giggling. Finally I think to myself we must be almost there. I look at the flight progress map. We are above Minnesota. What?! 3.5 hours to go! I have no idea how I am going to do this. I start watching the minutes go down one by one. I decide I better take you to the bathroom to change your diaper. This ends up being another ordeal. I always thought these bathrooms were small, but take a baby in there and you find out that how small. EVERYTHING is within reach. Besides the fact that you rolled over about 50 times as I tried to change you on the tiny table. You threw one of your toys on the DISGUSTINGLY dirty floor. ack. From there you found the soap dispenser. I let you play with it because it stopped you from rolling as much. found the tissues right above your head and start pulling them out like crazy. Aaaah! At this point, I figured as long as I got your diaper on and you don't fall onto the gross floor, it's a success. Finally we emerge from the bathroom. I was very hot and very tired. I check the map. We're over North Dakota now. 3.25 hours to go. Please go to sleep, Mirah, I think, please. One hour later.......... you're sleeping. wow. Thank you. You sleep the rest of the flight. We make it to Seattle.

Seattle was great. We got to meet my friend Krystal's baby girl, Maci. Such a sweet and spirited little gal born almost exactly 2 months after you. While we were in Seattle you crawled for the first time and Maci learned to sit up. It was very exciting. I've got videos and pics to post soon. It was such a nice time.

Then the time came to go home. We missed Daddy and he missed us a lot so we were ready. I hoped that things would go better. Let's just say that although the flight out to Seattle was long, everyone sitting around us said "what a GOOD BABY" at the end. And after the flight back to Connecticut........ none of that talk. I don't hold it against you, my dear. 5 hours is a REALLY long time. A REALLY LONG TIME. This time around you slept for the beginning of the flight. However you didn't just drift off peacefully to sleep. You had, um, a melt down. And then you crashed. Everyone around me let out a collective sigh of relief. You had a nice nap, maybe 1.5-2 hours. Every time you moved I tried to accommodate you so that you were so comfortable you wouldn't awaken. But soon.... you did. Oh man. I guess maybe since you learned to crawl in Seattle you were even more disturbed by my restricting you to seat 22D. We took 3 trips to the bathroom. Spent a lot of time hanging out in the back with the flight attendants and walking up and down the aisles. Most of the time spent in our seat involved me not letting you escape from my grasp. You bounced, and leaned, and tried to grab onto everyone that walked by. I realize now that you probably really just wanted to show off your new crawling skills. I mean you had a brightly lit runway! Not only were you physically active the rest of the flight, but your attention span was about....30 seconds at best. Your paci helped but I forgot to bring a clip to attach it to you, so I spent a lot of energy trying to catch it as it fell to the ground. Exhausting. Finally, I mean, finally we made it JFK. It was a short layover and a short flight to CT. You slept for the short flight. I just focused on making it there. Then we did. Dad was SO HAPPY to see us! He missed us and especially YOU so very, very much. You two had some nice moments together and I walked along side like a tired old dog (with that 15 yr old dog kinda walk). I was in rough shape. Really rough shape. It took us so long to get to the baggage claim that our suitcase was sitting there alone, the belt had stopped, and everyone else from the flight was gone. I wish I could say that I just rested peacefully on the drive home to Hamden, but I couldn't. Somewhere probably above Michigan I developed an excruciatingly painful headache. By the time we got to the truck the pain was overwhelming. I can say with confidence that I KNOW what it is to be uncomfortable after having given birth to you without a drop of pain medicine. Let's just say this headache was right up there with the un-comforts of childbirth. I told your dad that he might need to take me to the hospital because I thought I might die. Instead I puked. Ya, gross, I know. No one likes to do it, but so far that and flying with you seem to go hand in hand. (It happened on our first flight to Williston this year, too). Don't worry though. I still plan to fly with you again. We've got many places to see in this world and lots of visits to family and friends, too.

One last thing... Today you are 8 months old. Amazing! I will write about that tomorrow.

Love you little travel buddy. Next time we're bringing daddy.



On the way home

This is Mirah on the way home from the hospital. This is also her first ride in a car. Mommy sat in the back with her and Daddy drove very carefully.